The Karen Blixen Museum was originally the farm house owned by the Baron Blixen and his wife Karen (who wrote the book and film Out of Africa under her pen name, Isak Dinesen)
The coffee farm was bought in 1917 by Baron Blixen and the house itself dates back to 1912. Of their 4500 acre farm, 600 acres were used for coffee farming. The architecture is typical of late 19th century which includes the spacious rooms, verandas, tile roof and stone construction typical of this period.
Many original items are in the house which date back to these early days and many items were also featured in the film Out of Africa.
The house became part of the National Museums of Kenya in 1985 and is a tranquil place to visit among an expanse of green lawns and gardens which were once the home of Karen Blixen until she returned to her home in Denmark 1931. She affectionately called the house “Bogani” or “Mbogani” meaning a house in the woods and her famous phrase “‘I had a farm in Africa at the foot of the Ngong Hills’ is what you will see when you visit.
The Museum is open to the public every day and is gives a wonderfully nostalic look at the lives of these early settlers. Next door are the Karen Blixen Coffee Gardens, and within these gardens are the:
Karen Blixen Coffee Garden Cottages:
- Tamambo Restaurant
- The historic Grogan House
The Museum is open each day from 9.30 am to 6pm including weekends and public holidays. Guided tours are offered and there is a small shop. The grounds may be rented for wedding receptions, corporate functions and other events.
The Karen Blixen Museum is managed by the National Museums of Kenya.
- Nairobi National Museum, Snake Park, Botanical Gardens & Nature Trail
- Nairobi Gallery
- Uhuru Gardens & the National Monument
- The Oloolua Nature Trail
- Wilson airport. -used for all local safari flights in Kenya (10 minutes)
- International airport.(15-20 minutes)
- National Wildlife Park (10 minutes)
- the Daphne Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage(10 minutes)
- KWS Safari Walk and Animal Orphanage(10 minutes)
- shopping and banking in the nearby town of Karen (banks, pharmacies, local restaurants, medical facilities, etc). (10 minutes)
- Karen Country and Golf Club. (5 minutes)
- Giraffe Centre (15 minutes)
- Nature walks on horse back with the Karen Riding School, including Champagne breakfasts or Sundowners. (10 minutes)
This is a great place to have a wedding with the beautiful grounds and wonderful history.
Telephone: +254 20 800 2139
Address: Karen, Nairobi