For a wonderful selection of arts and crafts, wooden carvings and beadwork, you can’t go wrong at the Nairobi Maasai Markets.
- They are held around the city on different days and on Sundays, you will find it at at the Yaya Shopping Centre.
- Not exclusively sold by the “Maasai” these vibrant, colourful markets sell mainly tourist fare ranging from wooden sculptures, beaded necklaces, batik wall hangings, shoes, soap stone carvings, sisal bags, kikois, textiles and a whole host of other exciting goods. All items are Kenyan and the range of goods on offer is impressive.
- The nice thing about buying items from these markets is that sometimes (but not always) you are dealing with the actual people who make the craft items. You can see ladies threading beads and making jewellery right in front of you, and if you talk to the traders it’s easy to find people who are selling their own sculptures or craft items.
- Haggling is expected and if you like this you’re in for a treat! If like me, you hate it, the rule is generally to offer between half and two thirds of the initial price and carry on from there….!
- If you miss this Maasai Market, or don’t stay nearby, DON”T PANIC!! There are others held on other days around the city. They often have the same vendors, but not always. They all are big venues with plenty to offer, so whichever market you choose will be a great place to shop.
the Junction Shopping Mall from 9am to 7pm. This sells itself as a unique Musical Maasai Market with cultural music and live performances
Village Market Shopping Mall The Maasai Market is held on the upper car park and the Village Market in itself is a great place to visit with lots of other attractions.
The Yaya Shopping Mall.
SATURDAY & SUNDAY
There are also Markets held at the city square DOWN TOWN in Nairobi at weekends.
Telephone: +254 20 271 3360
Address: Yaya Towers , Argwings Kodhek Road
Directions: You can’t miss it as it’s usually spread out in the car park outside the .This is found on Argwings Kodhek Road which is about 10 minutes from the city centre.